At Manor Lodge we aim to make Science as practically based as possible, with practical activities, the use of ICT, experiments and investigations wherever feasible. Science is also used to promote the development of thinking skills such as persistence, showing initiative, collaboration, and questioning.
Every child has the right to experience science – its fascinations, pleasures and complexities. Science has shaped our past, influences whatever we do in our lives and will play a major role in the future of our planet and its inhabitants.
In our teaching of Science we aim to give all pupils:
- The opportunity to develop their knowledge and understanding of the world they live in, through investigation of that world
- A Science Curriculum which is broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated
- A progressive development of scientific concepts, knowledge, skills and attitudes
- The opportunity to work scientifically in a range of appropriate contexts using a wide variety of materials and equipment
- A positive attitude towards, and enthusiasm for, Science work in school
- Opportunities for children to communicate
- Opportunities to extend their natural curiosity and wonder about the world in which they are growing
- The opportunity to initiate a lifelong interest in the natural world
- Confidence and to encourage initiative and creativity