Manor Lodge and the Environment
We are very proud to announce that we have been awarded the Eco Schools Green Flag Award! We achieved our Green Flag in 2011 and passed our reassessment in 2013.
The school has an eco-team of children from Year 1 to Year 6 who produce ideas for recycling, reducing and re-using, make decisions on what areas to focus on, monitor the results and help create our action plan. The children meet regularly with staff and a former parent to discuss and plan projects which will increase our sustainability and thereby reduce wastage and subsequently costs.
As well as the eco-team, we also needed the whole school to participate to earn the Green Flag:
- We used a switch-off campaign which was very successful. Pupils made posters and put them up around the school by light switches.
- We did exactly the same with taps and any other electronics.
- We had a wormery where two children fed the worms to turn kitchen waste into organic matter.
- We have bins for recycling paper and card, a bin for recycling wrappers from snacks such as foil and a bin for bottles. Year 5 recyclers collect all the recycling each week.
- We also changed many of our lightbulbs to eco-friendly ones.
- We changed from oil to LPG-fired boilers to save energy.
- Every classroom has a switch off monitor now who keeps watch of wasted electricity.
As an Eco School, we are part of an international group of schools working towards education for sustainable development and a better quality of life for local and global communities.
Very simply, this provides a framework to enable us to analyse our operations and to become a more sustainable community. By following this programme we aim to become a much more stimulating place in which to learn, whilst reducing the environmental impact of the whole school on the community.
The scheme is rooted in a genuine desire to help our children become more effective citizens by encouraging them to take responsibility for the future of their own environment, and ultimately our planet. It helps us to look at the impact of our school and grounds upon the environment, and how this can be managed.
We are providing positive encouragement to our children to become much more aware of their immediate school and local community environment, and to care for each other.
To help all of us remember our objectives we have developed our own Eco Code.
We are happy to share our experience with other schools: please contact our Eco Schools Co-ordinator.
Manor Lodge Travel Plan
Manor Lodge, in conjunction with the University of Hertfordshire, has produced a travel plan which is designed to seek ways of improving travel to and from School, reducing the School’s carbon footprint and minimising the effect on other road users.
The School has been awarded the Gold School Travel Award by the Environment Department of Hertfordshire County Council. We thank Mrs Hougie and our friends from the University of Hertfordshire who carried out much research and many surveys, which contributed very significantly towards the Travel Plan.